Wake up your Graflex !

Get yourself some sheet or roll film and you're ready for shooting.

Graflok, Graphic and Graflex Back.

About the complicated nomenclature of Graflex backs and film holders.

Your camera may be fitted with any of three different backs, the Graflok Back, the Graphic Back , or Graflex Back. All of these backs allow ground glass focusing through the panel at the back of the camera. This is the only type of focusing that permits simultaneous checking of the composition, sharpness and depth of field exactly as it will be reproduced on the film.

The Graflok Back accepts only Graphic attachments with the raised lock rib light trap. The spring loaded focusing panel frame pulls back to accept all Graphic sheet film holders including the Grafmatic and is instantly removable to permit the attachment of the Graphic Roll Film Holder by means of the Graflok slide locks.

The Graphic Back also called Spring Back accepts only Graphic film Holders which have the raised lock rib light trap construction and which slide into the back beneath the focusing panel. Specific instructions for removal of the focusing panel for attaching thicker accessories such as the roll film holder can be found here.

The Graflex Back accepts only Graflex film holders and Graflex Roll Film Holders. Graflex attachments have light trap slots cut into the flat sides of the holder at the handle end. If you have a Pacemaker Crown or Speed skip. 

Graflex Back with film holder and viewing hood allowing ground glass focusing.

First of all there are Sheet Film Holders and there are Plate Holders. To make it a bit more complicated, there are two types available for either the Graflex Back or the Graphic Spring Back and Graflok back. The camera on the left is a Graflex Super D and has a Graflex Back. Please don't mix it up with its successor the Graflok back. The Graflex back receives Graflex Plate Holders Pat. 2056144. The ones with the grooves along both length sides. The  Graflex Plate holder can be also used as a sheet film holder, just by leaving the plate, or if there is no plate in it, to insert a plastic replacement inside and by placing the sheet negative film on top of the plate, thus at the right focusing position.


On the left picture the Graflex back with the two locks. On the right picture the Graflex back and a Graflex plate holder. Note that  some older Graflex backs have an open groove on the bottom side and one sliding lock on top of the back. Both backs can receive Graflex holders.


On the left the Graflex holder with the grooves along both sides. On the right the 4x5 Graphic Plate Holder type II without the grooves. The Graphic holders are marked P with a number, where P stands for Plate.

Note: the spring in the middle of the holder holds the plate in the optimal position. Both are Plate Holders. The Graflex Holder is exclusively compatible to  the older Graflex Cameras such as the Revolving Backs series B.

The Graphic however is compatible with the Pacemaker Spring back and Graflok back Thus Graphics like the Speed Graphic and the Crown Graphic. A build in mechanism holds the plate in the Graflex holder. The Graphic holder has a hinged flap (A) to lock the plate. The plate has to positioned under the two stops (B) on the top of the holder.

What are the differences?  The Spring Back is the newer version of the Graflex camera back.  Two springs as part of the focusing back, hold the ground glass in focusing position on the back of the camera. After focusing on the ground glass, the Film Holder can be sandwiched between the Spring back and the camera back. The newer plastic, non statistic Graphic Riteway Film Holders or Fidelity Elite,  are special made for sheet film and they will slip easier in and out the of the camera.  If you prefer using Sheet Film, you'd better choose for these rather than the wooden standard Graphic Holder.

Suitable Graphic Sheet film holders for use with the Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphic 4x 5 inch.

These holders have the raised lock rib light trap


On the left picture the modern Riteway Fidelity Holder and on the right picture the desirable Graflok back. This is the ultimate combination for guarantied swift and secure work. The well chosen materials and good design made it to the most used professional sheet film equipment. 

How to distinguish between Graflex and Graphic?

The Graflex Back  is usually found on the "Graflex" SLR cameras like the Graflex Series B and D . The Graflex Holder is grooved along both sides.

The Graphic Holder is a bit longer than the Graflex Holder and has a ridge on top of the holder that falls into the camera groove thus creating an extra light trap. The Graphic Holder has no grooves along the sides. 

Whether it is a Graphic Film holder or a Graphic Plate holder, both are compatible with the Spring back and even with the international Graflok back.

Graflex Holders are not compatible to the Graflok nor to the Spring backs of the Graphic Speed or Crown Cameras.

The older wooden Graphic Film Sheet Holder Type 5, where A is the Sheet Film, B is the Dark-slide, C is the groove to guide the sheet film and D is the hinged flap allowing the sheet film to slip into the holder and keep it in position once it is closed. Before loading the film into the holder it may be a good idea to prepare the holder for loading by withdrawing both dark slides and partly reinsert the dark slides as shown above. This can be done in full day light. Make sure the bright side of the  handles with raised dots are on the outside. Then in full darkness load the holders with the sheet film. The sheet film is interleaved with a sheet of black paper. Each sheet of film is provided with an identification notch. When the notch appears and can be felt along the top edge at the upper right hand corner or on the left bottom side, you may slide the sheet film into the holder, the film emulsion is now faced to the lens. To complete the loading you may now close the dark slide after having swung upwards the hinged flap. You may practice this a couple of times with a fogged film in day light, to get the right feeling.

120 Roll Film Holder 

There are the older Graflex Knob wind film holders and there are the newer Rapid Vance lever wind roll holders. These newer roll holders are made for film which is thinner  than the older film. The new Rapid Vance Roll Holder have extra guide rollers to hold this thinner film pressed against the film gate. Graflex Rapid Vance holders for 4x5 inch are:

      RH/8   Cat. No. 1255           for 8   exposures 2 ¼ x 3 ¼ 6x9 per roll of 120 film.

      RH/10 Cat. No. 1256            for 10 exposures 2 ¼ x 2 ¾ 6x7 per roll of 120 film.

       RH/12 Cat. No. 1257           for 12 exposures  2 ¼ x 2 ¼  6x6 per roll of 120 film.  

                                                              RH/20 Cat No. 12..              for 20 exposures  2 ¼ x 2 ¾  6x7 per roll of 220 film.


The newer Rapid Vance Graflex Roll Holder. Graflex name on cover. Graphic name on backside.

These  types of Roll Holders are compatible with the Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphic Graflok backs.

Confusing is the name Graphic on the back and Graflex on the front of the roll film holder.

To define the Graflex and Graphic Roll Film Holder you may look at the inscription on the back. It reads Graphic or Graflex. The Graflex Holder is the one with one groove on top of the backside and the Graphic is the one with the two ridges on top. The Graflex Roll Holder is not compatible with a Graflok or Spring back. It only works with a Graflex Back Camera. The most popular Graflex Back cameras are the Graflex Revolving Back 4X5 and the Graflex Super D. The housing of the Roll Holder is marked as Graflex or Graphic. The Graflex Roll Holders are for 8 exposures on 120 Film. To make the confusion complete, Singer named the roll holder Graflex again. This in spite of the fact that these roll holders were made to fit to the Graphic cameras. They are however easy to distinguish as they are equipped with an advance lever with the +g logo on the lever. These +g marked Roll film Holders such as the  - RH 10 and RH 8 can be used with the 120 and 220 size roll film and can be mounted on the, with the Graflok equipped, Pacemaker Speed and Crown.

#10 Mask for Graflex Pacemaker Crown and Speed Graphics. This corresponds to 86-90mm for with an RH-10; 83-98mm with an RH-8; 122-133mm for 34" and 150-162mm for 45". 


The Graflex knob wind film holder with groove for use with cameras equipped with the Graflex GG Back.


The "22" Graphic Roll Holder to fit to a 4 x 5 inch Pacemaker Crown or Speed Graphic equipped with the international Graflok back. 

"22" Means 12 exposures. Each 2 x 2 inch. Also available the "23" with 8 exposures 6x9 cm. 

Roll holders are also available for 2 ¼ x 3 ¼ and 3 ¼ x 4 ¼ cameras.

The Graflok back accepts only Graphic attachments with the raised lock rib light trap. 

The spring loaded focusing panel frame pulls back to accept all Graphic sheet film holders and is instantly removable to permit the attachment of the Graphic roll film holder.  


Brief Instruction for loading 

the Graflex or Graphic Roll Film Holder.

The Roll Film Holders can be attached to Graflex or Graflok backs.


To fit to the Graflok back a Graphic Holder is required. To remove the Graflok focusing panel, press in on the two arms to unhook them and slide the panel to the right and off. Fit the Roll Holder to the back of the camera and hold in place by means of the upper and lower slide locks. The Graflex Roll Holder can be fitted directly to the Graflex Back and held in place by means of the slide locks.


Place the holder face down with the Dark Slide up to the right. Press the release latches together and lift open the cover. 

Load the full spool into the left hand compartment with the slot in the end of the spool down.

Tip the edge of the spool into the cavity in the lower side of the roll holder carriage and press it downward against the spring as far as possible until the spool can be tipped forward into position.

Hold lever A to the left and turn the winding knob until the last number (8  or 12)  on the counter  passes the index mark (B white line) and the counter no more turns. Break the seal of the roll film and unwind enough of the protective paper covering of the film , making sure that black side is outward, to pass around the front of the carriage and around C the take up spool with the winding knob until the arrow on the paper is opposite the arrow on the carriage. So the paper should be underneath the wind up spool. You may use an inch of some 3M or Tesa Film to ensure that the paper stays fixed to the wind up spool.


Now turn the exposure counter to "S"  by turning the domed indicator in the direction of the arrow until it snaps into place and cannot be turned further. If it is necessary to anchor the paper backing of the film more securely onto the take up spool before the cover is closed the winding knob may then be turned but not more than one turn before the cover is closed to prevent fogging the film.


Return the film compartment to the holder and close the cover. Turn the winding knob in the direction of the arrow until it stops automatically on the figure 1 indicating that the film is in position for making the fist exposure.

For the next picture move the lever A to the left and release and turn the winding knob until the lock re- engages indicating that the film is in position for the next picture. After the last exposure move lever A to the left and release. The knob will turn freely permitting the roll to be completely wind through.



620 Roll Film Holder

adapt- a-roll


The Adapt a Roll 620 is made for the 620 Roll film, which is unfortunately not available any more. The Adapt-a-roll 620 was designed to take pictures without loosing time changing film-sheet-holders, as advancing the film by turning the knob is far more easy than pulling out the film holder turning it and pushing it back again, not forgetting to push back or pull out the dark slide. On the other hand it must be said, that to advance the film in the 'Adapt-a-roll 620' takes also time and it does not stop automatically after advancing one frame. Apart from that, it's not easy to load the "Adapt-a-roll 620".


Graflex Cut Film Magazine

The Cut Film Magazine is more or less just  a collectors item rather than a usable film magazine. However you can use this device without any problem with the 4x5 sheet film. As these are very old leather backs, you better check them for pinholes by putting a electronic flash into the leather bag. Fire the flash in a dark room. 

The double dark box consist out of two parts. One of them is the dark-box made out of metal and the other is a leather bag . The film-holders can be moved from the metal box into the leather bag  after exposing and back again without coming into daylight.

The dark box  contains  6 film-holders called septums. After the exposure, pull out the sliding-lid on the side.  The sliding-lid will take the septum or holder with the exposed sheet film out of its first position opposite the lens into the leather bag. Now, by the feel, you can push back the septum into the dark-box, but now at the back. Now the next septum automatically has been moved in first position and is ready to be exposed. As the holders are numbered on the back, you can check the exposed number by lifting up the little hinged door from the “dark film holder” .



Instruction for use the Graflex Cut Film Magzine

Graflex/ Singer

Grafmatic 6 sheet film holder.

The Grafmatic holds six sheet films, yet is scarcely thicker* than an ordinary two sheet film holder. It allows fast action for rapid picture taking or sequence shots. Film changing with the Grafmatic is lightning fast. Simply pull out the handle and push back into place. Your next film is positioned for exposure, in the same movement  your previous film is transported in the back of the holder,  perfectly protected against double exposure. An automatic exposure counter does the bookkeeping and stops all cooperation once the "X "on the counter has been reached. Loading the septums in full darkness need some practice but is quite easy.  Large identification notches makes it easy to identify and load. The Grafmatic is easy to use together with the Graflok back. 

* The Grafmatic is 12 mm thicker than the regular  double sheet-film holder. For use with the spring-back you might consider to mount thicker washers beneath the two springs. Note: The distance of the film surface to the outer frame of the holder is 4,5 mm which is the same as the regular sheet-film holder.



On the left: The Grafmatic Film holder is backpacked on the back of the Graflok equipped camera. On the right photo you can see how the Grafmatic is sandwiched between the Graflok back and the Ground glass focusing device. Both methods are possible.


For more info about this great device

The Grafmatic chamber accommodates 6 metal sheaths or septums. Each septum contains a sheet film. After exposing, the slide has to be drawn out of the housing and pushed back again. Now the next film is automatically positioned in front of the holder, waiting for exposure. Note the groove on the left picture allowing to use this 23"Grafmatic with the Graflex as well as with the Graphic backs.

This is, by far, the easiest way to carry around sheet film for your 4x5 camera. It fits standard graphic backs (locking type) as well as most spring-loaded backs. Its only about 1.25 the thickness of a double-sided back and holds three times as many sheets of film! The mechanism sequentially releases the dark slide (built-in, so you can't loose it) and cycles a sheet of film forward. By pulling out the handle and pushing it back again, the exposed sheet of film is cycled to the rear of the pack and you're ready to shoot the next picture.


Dark room   Grafmatic Holder

   Kinematic holder         Linhof Super Rollex 2 ¼ x 2 ¾      Adapt-a Roll 620   Polaroid Holder

Unknown but quite interesting plate holder.       More about Graflex Cut Film Magzine

Mounting a roll film holder on a springback

Home Jo Lommen Cameras